How to make grilled artichokes with Executive Chef Robert Hohmann:
Artichokes can look intimidating, but when prepared correctly they yield incredibly delicious results. Whether you’re an artichoke expert or trying this leafy vegetable for the first time, let our chef show you a delicious way to maximize the flavor and texture while creating a Roosevelt worthy dish.
- 4 artichokes
- 2 sprigs lavender
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 gallon water
- 3 lemons
- 1 oz. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the stem and outer leaves of the artichokes; then trim an inch off the top of the artichokes.
- Place the artichokes in a dutch oven along with the lavender, thyme, rosemary, and juice from the lemons.
- Pour the water in the dutch oven over the artichokes and seasoning. Cover with lid.
- Cook in the oven at 375° for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the artichokes from the oven, take them out of the braising liquid, and place them upside down on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes to drain the liquid.
- When the artichokes are warm to the touch, cut them in half, and remove the purple inner leaves as well as the pith off the top of the hearts.
- Toss the artichokes in a bowl with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Grill the artichokes for about 10 minutes, flip to get a good char on both sides.
- Mix all the remoulade ingredients together in a large mixing bowl; serve with the artichokes.
For a live demo from our Executive Chef, check out our ForkNPlate video!